View Single Post

Old 06-09-2010, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Liked 48,852 Times in 9,288 Posts
Default The RAREST Target Stocks

The earliest listing I have found for the Target Stocks is in the All Model Circular (AMC hereafter) dated Jan 1950. Take note of the phrase "WITH BUILT IN ADAPTER" because we shall be discussing that point later:

Now, here is an AMC still dated June 1950, but they obviously overprinted it because changes have been made in pricing. I can date this AMC to Feb 1951 because there is a letter stapled to it. The letter is also pictured below for your amusement:

Below are pictured the first variant of S&W Target Stocks.
Note that the two halves are flat on the frame with a plastic ADAPTER that fills the gap between the overhang at the frontstrap, bottom strap, and behind the trigger guard.
I believe the factory abandoned This idea VERY quickly. More on this in a moment.

This is only the second pair of these grips that I have ever seen. I have heard of a third pair, but I have not seen them.

It is very interesting that the factory tried this method. We know they had seen Roper and other grip makers fill this area with wrap-around grips fully 15-20 years BEFORE this debacle. Roper had worked at the factory, and we know a few Reg Mags shipped with Roper Grips, so suggesting the factory did not know about all wood Target Stocks would be ludicrous.
I can only assume it was an attempt at mass production of an acceptable product at low cost.

Enjoy.

Ok, so far so good.
Getting the first half on- no problem
Getting the adapter in place on the first half- difficult enough to make one nervous with the old brittle plastic.
Getting the second half lined up and snapped over the TWO pins- a major pain!

Success, with nothing broken-

NOTE the grooves on the little bit of plastic backstrap.

So, how many pairs of these stocks shipped?
Good question.
The AMC's above can only give us a clue by dropping the phrase "WITH BUILT IN ADAPTER".
I believe VERY few pairs shipped. Obviously, the fit and even the functionality is not up to The Swede's standards of excellence for his new line of micro sighted, ribbed Masterpiece's.
Remember I told you that I have only seen one other pair? That pair had a broken plastic piece.
Bear in mind that I have removed the grips from THOUSANDS of S&W revolvers, and these were making me nervous. They were that difficult to line up, and I was waiting for that awful SNAP.......
They are so ornery, I doubt that I will ever install them again. Matter of fact, I started the pics AFTER I got them on the gun. The pics of the components were made as I took them off.
The Following 62 Users Like Post: