View Single Post

Old 06-20-2010, 12:55 AM

Liked 94 Times in 28 Posts

Hi,

I was following along with this. The description is spot on, especially with the grips.

First problem is I found out that no ONI or NIS marked S&W model 19's were ever surplused by the US Navy. Those that were recalled by NCIS were sent to the Naval Surface Weapons Support Center in Crane Indiana and Destroyed.

Those transferred to the FBI were either turned into "Red Handle" guns, transferred to the GSA (Government Services Admin - Government Landlord) for issue to their Uniformed Guards during the 1990's, or destroyed.

A friend of mine is related to a current NCIS Special Agent and he checked with a Technical Services Special Agent at the Washington, DC Navy Yard. He said that several S&W Model 19's marked ONI and NIS were returned to Crane Weapons Station for refurbishment before the SIG P228's were issued to both the Special Agents and Navy Reserve Special Agents. Some of these weapons had extensive blue wear so Crane parkerized them and refurbished them. He said that the only commend thread was that many of the reparked guns were also lightly bead blasted and all had the old style front sight ramps that were double pinned to the barrel rib and it was observable. Along with these S&W Model 19's were also a series of military issue S&W Model 36's with lanyard rings at the butt and U.S. marks.....those were parked also. He advised that some of those Model 36's were actually sold as surplus by S&W through their dealer network, but were restamped over the "U.S".

I am not saying that your Model 19 is stolen USG property, I am just saying that none issued to ONI or NIS Special Agents, U.S. Navy Officer Agents or Marine Corps CID or NIS Marine Agents were ever sold, given as retirement gifts or surplused to gun dealers. Several weapons were stolen and lost and they are listed in the NCIS off line search of stolen weapons and the Crane MLSR (Missing, lost, stolen Registry) at Crane.

If you have any more direct questions, you can PM me off line and I will be able to do a search of the registry for you to set you mind at ease.

I am not trying to start a brush fire here, just letting you know what I have been told.

If it were me, I'd buy the Model 19 and keep it hung up with Some ONI memorabilia. Hell, an authentic ONI Special Agent badge just sold on EvilBay for over a $1000 BUCKS.

Keep your powder dry.

Last edited by SpartanDCI; 06-20-2010 at 01:00 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: