View Single Post

Old 06-22-2010, 05:40 AM

Liked 87 Times in 29 Posts

I love the shot of the engineering department with all those guys using the large drafting tables. I've been an engineer since I graduated college in 1986 and have seen manual drafting and the large drafting tables disappear. When I started out as a structural engineer we worked about four years on a drafting table, drawing up things designed by the older, licensed engineers and occasionally checking their calculations or doing a small design of our own. We had to work our way up the ladder so to speak and we had to learn how things were built and how they were supposed to look. Then, when we took the state exam and got our own professional engineer's license we got a desk, which was a huge status symbol in an engineering firm. Now everybody uses a computer and the new grads don't even know what a drafting table was. I've seen many of the younger engineers try to draw something up with a pencil and straight edge and it usually looks awful...manual drafting is an artform that we've all but lost.

Thanks for sharing the cool photos, B

Last edited by bassoneer; 06-22-2010 at 05:54 AM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: