View Single Post

Old 06-23-2010, 06:21 PM

Liked 57 Times in 28 Posts

The 416 is readily available from what I have read on the subject, specifically the Rem and Rigby. The Rigby was near extiction when Remington released thier 416 in '88 and Weatherby in '89. However since then Hornady has resurected the Rigby by offering factory ammunition.

I understand the 416 is a popular cartridge with PHs, specifically the Rem for the reason that Leonard mentioned above. It's quite a handy rifle in that caliber. It's unfortunate that it has become a somewhat obscrue round in the bigbore community. Remington produces brass for this round on an irregular schedule which makes getting brass/loaded rounds difficult at times. Those that I know with this round tend to hoard brass for this reason.

The Rigby has grown in popularity since the early '90s, As mentioned it is a large case so pressures will be lower for any given charge to reach the 400 gr bullet to 2400 fps compared to rounds like the Rem/Ruger/Taylor. Likewise for the Weatherby round since it is simply a belted Rigby case.

Weatherby will push the envelope as with their other cartridges, factory ammunition advertises 2700 fps. The Rigby has the case capacity for this but it has been proven in the field that the additional speed isn't required...At least that's what they say.

I can't imagine not being able to find the Remington or Rigby round when you decide to cross the pond.

Cheers,
Sam

Last edited by Shorty4T; 06-23-2010 at 06:24 PM.