View Single Post

Old 06-24-2010, 07:20 PM

Liked 57 Times in 28 Posts

Thanks for the info Leonard, it's always nice to chat with people that have the practicle experience. I can't say I'm an A-Square fan at all, even when I was a kid I had an affection for the larger cases that Weatherby presented with the 378 and 460.

I remember seeing the 475 A&M Mag in a book wanting one, this too was based on the belted 378/460 case. This cartridge has always been a wildcat since it was developed by an Arizona rifle company, Atkinson & Marquart. While I think the published ballistics were exagerated it sparked a love for the big guns.

I've always wondered why Weatherby never released their own 500. Early on the Weatherby cartridges got some bad press simply for the fact that bullets of the era where never meant to go as fast a Roy was pushing them. However that is much less of a problem today with premium bullets. I think Weatherby could have made a big dent in the 500/510 market with an honest to goodness stopping rifle based on the 378 case.

I also believe that the 378 is too much of a good thing, A good friend has one, while recoil on it is stiff it's certainly managable. It's a little sharper recoil than the 416 and 460. While I do believe that Roy got the 375 that was initially introduced perfect. Another rifle on my short list, 375 bee.

Texas Star, shooting smaller animals with the medium/big bores doesn't damage much meet, simply for the fact that small game doesn't have the bone structure to make the round do what it's supposed to, expand. Shooting Southern whitetails with a 416 leaves a LOT of meat.

Cheers,
Sam

Last edited by Shorty4T; 06-24-2010 at 07:23 PM.