View Single Post

Old 06-27-2010, 09:37 PM

Liked 896 Times in 451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by horns View Post
Ohiococonut indicated there were 500 of the 6.5" unfluted models made. The one in the shop had the usual rubber grips unlike the ohiococonut's. Were the wood grips a part of the 500 run and the rubber grip 6.5" unfluted is a different, run-of-the-mill model? Or were there only 500 6.5" PC unfluted models made in total?

I tried finding one online to see what they are worth, but didn't have any luck. Any idea what a good condition example should run? Beyond personal preference, are these particularly desirable?

Is there any issue shooting hard cast like buffalo bore through this model? Either because of the polygonal rifling or the brake? I believe the 8 3/8" model comes with a separate brake for lead, right?

Does the brake on the PC models unscrew?

Thanks
The reason Ohio's gun has wooden grips is because they are Herrett's Jordan Troopers and I sold them to Del (OhioC).

There are no issues with shooting hard cast through any of the S&W .500 Mags. I think most regular .500 users shoot hard cast more than jacketed for cost if for no other reason.

Early PC models used Lothar Walther polygonal rifling. I am sure that all current non PC models use ECR (electronically cut rifling) and I believe that applies to the new PC models. I understand that Thompson Center, which is now owned by S&W, does these barrels for them.

I have no idea what any of them are worth, depends more on the interest of the buyer (what the market will bear!).

The cylindrical muzzle brake on the PC model isn't customer removable. You need the factory equipment to do it right. The newer 8 3/8th" models have two comps, one for lead, one for jacketed. The original 8 3/8th" has an integral, non removable comp. Don