View Single Post

Old 07-03-2010, 05:36 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,157 Times in 7,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxonPig View Post
That rifle is a class act.

The British commander played by Peter Lawford in the 1962 film about D-Day called "The Longest Day" also went ashore carrying a Mannlicher.

BTW- Mannlicher is my wife's favorite gun related word.

I have a BRNO made Mannlicher wannabe.

Dr. Pig-

That Brno feels heavier and slabbier to me than the Austrian equivalent. But they are very well made rifles. The one that I handled was a ZG-47, and my comments apply only to that version. Later ones may balance better.

The point about the guy played by Peter Lawford has already been mentioned, but I'll add that the real guy was a Scot, Lord Lovat. His commando unit was the Lovat Scouts. Don't know if he really carried a M-S, but it may well be true, as those were popular for stag shooting in Scotland. I'm guessing that he had access to full-jacketed ammo, as per the Hague Accords. Or, maybe he knew about Hitler's order to execute special operations people and figured it wouldn;t matter if he had hunting ammo. Actually, that FMJ stuff was hunting ammo..for elephants and the like!

The generic name for these full stocks in Europe is Stutzen. They are only called Mannlicher here, because most seen in the US have been the M-S brand.

T-Star