View Single Post

Old 07-03-2010, 07:47 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,720 Times in 2,632 Posts
Default Some closer photos

Here are some detail photos of parts of the rifle that started this thread. I’ll let the catalog photo in the first post suffice for the big picture, because I don’t have a photo bay big enough to recapture the whole gun. Please pardon the dust and fibers; no matter how much I wipe the subject and hit it with compressed air, there’s always something.

A couple of wood details to show both the grain and the checkering.

Closer to the receiver, bolt and scope.

I think this is called a claw mount, but I’m not sure of the terminology. I have seen photos of several things called claw mounts, and not all of them look alike. To release the scope, pinch the knurled arms and lift.

The rear scope post simply slides under a fixed screw at the back of the receiver. When the front support is locked, the back can’t move.

When the post is down, the tunnel you can see in the base allows use of the iron sights. The fixed leaf iron sight is backed up by a flip-up taller sight labeled “300” -- meters, I presume.

The telescopic sight has a single reticule adjustment for distance: presumably 100, 200 or 300 meters.

Both the rear iron sight and the latch block for the scope are drift-adjustable. You can see that they have both been pushed quite a bit to the right and indexed with a chisel mark. A lateral adjustment of 1/16" over a 16" sight radius to align point of impact and point of aim sounds like a lot to me. I think that's equivalent to a meter displacement at 300 meters, compared to sights physically centered on their blocks.

The front sight is centered on its block. Nice tapered brass bead.

The magazine is removable, but not with any great convenience. The bottom plate rotates to slide two small ridges out of grooves at the bottom of the downward-extending walls of the receiver. But you need to push through the front hole in the plate with a small blunt object (why does a jacketed round come to mind?) to disengage a stop. Then with your third hand you can rotate the base and lift out the magazine. You don't remove the magazine assembly often; the rifle loads through the top with the bolt open.

The magazine is a five-shot rotary magazine.

The central piece rotates as additional rounds are inserted.

when it's time to fire, you can either pull the front trigger through five or six pounds of resistance to release the striker, or you can pull the back trigger (again, about five pounds) to set the front trigger. In that scenario, the front trigger will then go off with about two to eight ounces of pull, depending on how you have turned the adjustment screw.

The scope has duplex cross hairs: wide until close to the center, then very fine hairs to settle on the target. Sorry for the blur, but trust me; the fine hairs are there.

The more I look at and handle this rifle the more I love it.

Last edited by DCWilson; 07-10-2010 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Typo; add a photo I left out; change "left" to "right" (duh!)
The Following 7 Users Like Post: