View Single Post

Old 07-05-2010, 03:48 PM

Liked 364 Times in 102 Posts
Smile Model 27-2 and first range trip

I was at one of the pawn shops I check regularly and about a month ago and the gun guy said he has a S&W revolver coming out in about a month, but no details.

Well I went by to check it out a few days ago and it was a 27-2 in really good condition except for the grips. It came with a display box (not sure it’s original S&W maybe someone could help me out with this) screwdrivers and cleaning rod and the label from the box. I could see tape on the case that matched the label in the box under the felt.

We haggled quite a while over price and finally met in the middle and it came home with me.

After I got it home I took the grips off and checked them as they were a little lose. The grips were in a little worse shape that I though after seeing them in the daylight. I discovered the reason that the grips were loose is because the stock roll pin in the bottom of the frame was missing and in its place was a cut off piece of clothes hanger.

I decided that the grips would need some TLC so I gave them a light sanding with 220 and 400 grit sandpaper followed by 0000 synthetic steel wool. I taped the medallions and gave the grips a coat of spray clear gloss urethane and they turned out really good in spite of the original condition.

I’ve ordered the replacement stock roll pin and side plate screws. Someone got carried away with polish and removed quite a bit of the blueing on the screw heads.

I stripped it down completely and disassembled everything. It really needed it. Most of the action was bone dry and the yoke/cylinder/ejector had a huge amount of dried caked grease/powder/crud.

I removed the tape/residue on the display box and gave it a good cleaning with Murphy’s oil soap. It also cleaned up nicely. The flocking has some dirty spots and is broken in places. If it turns out to be original S&W display box, I’ll have it re-flocked.

Took it out today for the first range trip (fitting for the 4th) and here’s the pictures.

S&W 27-2
DOB ~ 1977
Pinned & Recessed
Blued
Target hammer
Target trigger
357 mag
8 3/8” barrel

Not bad for first trip to the range.