View Single Post

Old 07-05-2010, 05:23 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingmansinc View Post
I agree with you completely. Anybody who goes up against nature without proper knowledge and preparation may as well hold up a lightening rod in an electrical storm. I'll take luck over smarts anytime, but when you combine the two then you really have a plan. I've been canoeing / camping in the arctic with polar bears, lot of trips in black bear country, photographed moose up close, been in the water shared by gators and who know what kind of snakes, and spent many hours in the ocean. So far common sense, knowledge, and luck have served me well. However I don't rely on the clowns on the reality shows for my survival training.

Well, you certainly have a point about Bear Grylls! He's more into making dramatic TV shows than he is into teaching real survival techniques. And guys like Steve Irwin and a South African whose name escapes me at the moment (Austin Stevens?) got far too casual with reptiles. Stevens actually got bitten by a cobra that he was harrassing for the camera.

I think that many snakes hounded on TV have just been released from a cold box and aren't themselves yet. And Irwin reportedly worked with selected docile examples from his zoo much of the time. When he went to Africa, the snakes there were much less tolerant of him, and he kept exclaiming about it! He took very foolish chances witrh a big Egyptian cobra (Naja haje) and caught a black mamba by the tail. It nearly tagged him, which would have been a disaster. Without very prompt access to antivenin and proper medical care (which was distant), victims of mamba bite have almost a 100% death rate. And a red spitting cobra almost got some venom into his eyes, despite his wearing glasses. The guy actually went up trees to approach a green mamba and a boomslang! The lethal dose for a boomslang bite is about 1.5 mg. Most cobra and mamba bites take about 15-20 mg. to kill an average 150 pound man in good shape. However, they often deliver more than that in a bite, and angry mambas and cobras often deliver multple bites.

Even Irwin admitted that he was "sweating bullets" by the time he'd bagged that mamba, and that he was in grave danger in those trees. His anxiety was evident.

I think some of these daring TV hosts are adrenaline junkies.
Anyone who photographs bears from a close distance has got rocks in the head.

T-Star

Last edited by Texas Star; 07-05-2010 at 05:25 PM.