Thread: 586 Locked Up
View Single Post

Old 07-06-2010, 05:20 PM

Liked 47 Times in 17 Posts

I had the same problem as the OP back when the Model 686 first came out in 1980. I traded my Model 28 for the newer 686. I thought it was something I was doing wrong, so I traded the gun in on something else - it was so long ago I can't remember what. The primer actually backed out of the primer hole, and locked up the gun. I fiddled with it and got the cylinder open. Again, I can't remember exactly how.

No one told me about any recalls until many years later.

The wife and I share this Model 586 no dash which we bought a couple years back, and we shoot magnums it it with no problems, so far. It has never had the recall work done:

Also, like the OP, I've had my share of Dan Wesson issues as well. I've had a Monson made 715-2 Dan Wesson, which has not worked right since I bought it new in 1976. I finally got the damn thing fixed a couple years ago, when I finally found a decent gun smith. He said it came from the factory with so many internal burrs it was locking up the mechanism.

I also had two separate Model 29s go out of time so badly they locked up solid. I've had such bad luck with revolvers that, for a long time my main gun was a Ruger Blackhack in .45 Colt. Single actions always go bang!