View Single Post

Old 07-11-2010, 11:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I may be worrying to much about an accidental discharge while pocket carrying. When I started carrying that way I carried the gun fully loaded with five rounds. However, I have a job that requires me to foot patrol rugged terrain. Occasionally I have fallen and landed right on the gun and wondered what would have happened if a rock or sharp stick would have been sticking up and the only thing covering the trigger was a thin piece of cloth. I have also occasionally ended up on the ground trying to handcuff suspects and later wondered about the trigger accidentally being pulled or the gun coming out.

I also remember an article in a gun magazine (possibly American Handgunner) that had a picture of a pair of pants with a hole in them. The article went on to explain how the person had a small semi-auto pistol in his pocket and something(I think keys) got caught in the trigger guard and fired the pistol. I know an LEO who always carried a North American Arms .22 in his pocket. He did not carry it in a holster. One day when he went to remove it it was cocked. I know two people personally who have had weapons discharge while in their wastebands. The weapons were not in a holster. I am not sure exactly what happened because I was not there. One was an LEO and the other was an LEO's son who was a life long hunter and IDPA shooter. All of this has made me very nervous about carrying a gun that is not in a holster. However, I have a lean frame and carrying the j-frame seems obvious enough. Carrying it in a holster would even make it worse. All of this is why I decided to carry it with the first chamber empty. I can actually draw and fire it pretty quickly.