View Single Post

Old 07-13-2010, 02:43 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,714 Times in 2,629 Posts

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, the screw on the forestrap indicates a flat mainspring. That is the strain screw that tensions such a spring.

With that serial number, the revolver would have shipped about 1928. You might also see the serial stamped lightly on the rear face of the cylinder. If you took the stocks off, you might see the number either stamped into or penciled on the inner surface of one of the panels.

The fact that the serial number is on the forestrap rather than the butt makes me think your gun is a .32 Regulation Police. This model had slightly longer square butt stocks compared to the round butt .32s the company was making at the same time, and the wood of these longer stocks covered the part of the butt where the company usually stamped serial numbers. If the stocks on this gun are square butt, look to see if there is a 1917 patent date on the bottom of one panel. That's a giveaway for the Regulation Police designation. The RP frame is also distinctive, because it has a slight notch on the backstrap for part of the wood of the stocks to cover. This is called a "rebated" frame; that's just another version of the word that woodworkers call "rabbeted."

I bet the barrel is 4.25" rather than 4.0 Measure from the front of the cylinder to the muzzle.

I'm presuming the gun does not have adjustable sights. The target .32s of this era almost all had six-inch barrels.

Can you post pictures? We love photos of classic revolvers here.