View Single Post

Old 07-16-2010, 04:53 PM

Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by i8mtm View Post
I loaded the A-Zooms into my Sig's from the magazine, just like a regular round. The one I noticed the problem with was the .45 ACP. Unless A-Zoom has re-designed there snap-caps, the .45 has a slight "step" machined into the cap to simulate the bullet into the case. I found this was hitting the feed ramp on my Sig and made noticeable marks.

Running my finger-tips over this "step" it felt very rough, and you could see where the anodizing had been worn off.

I feel much better using the more fragile plastic and brass snap-caps.

I even take it one step further with the Sigs. According to some on the Sig Forum, Sig decided to change the slide pin on current models from the solid steel one to the new coiled steel one as there had been some reports of breakage due to EXCESSIVE DRY-FIRING. Apparently the solid pin in the stainless steel slides is very difficult to remove. The new design is more flexible and easier to replace should it need it.

So in addition to snap-caps in the chamber, I also put 3/4 of a foam earplug in front of the hammer, smushed into the back of the slide. Now there is almost NO impact on the firing pin or the slide, and yet the foam earplug does not impede double-action or single-action dry-fire practice. It doesn't hurt, and it can only help. That is my .02
Tried your ear plug trick last night watching my My Name is Earl reruns. I loved it, made the hammer falling much less painful and annoying sounding, both to the gun and my ears. I'm going to start doing that with more of my guns. Makes it much more pleasant to do for a half hour or so.