View Single Post

Old 07-19-2010, 08:01 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 10mm bear defense

.22 Hornet gets 2600 or 2700 feet per second from a rifle and could dispatch a bear.... but it's such a small caliber that it's only really good for small game, you know 35 or 40 or 50 grain slug is going to have energy but the transfering of that energy is going to be questionable for any animal especially a large, strong, big boned, thick skinned, heavily muscled animal; but even for just man sized threats, the military selected the .223 remington or 5.56 Nato over calibers like .22 hornet and naturally the .223 with the 68 grain bullet being noted for better stopping power but more so for it's wounding ability. If you are going to carry a .22 then you might as well carry a mini-14. Actually I'd feel just fine defending myself with a mini-14 or mini-30. But the idea is that the sidearm is there when you least expect to meet the bear. If the firearm is not on your person 24-7 while in the woods, chances are it's not going to be on you when you meet up with the threat. A large revolver is as burdensom to carry as a rifle in some respects. So, the idea is, bottom line, what are you comfortable wearing that is good enough. I would say that even for some women the 10mm is too big and they simply will not carry it. The truth is, it's good enough. That is the answer. Is it the best? oh no, but it's adequate.