View Single Post

Old 07-20-2010, 03:52 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,099 Times in 1,249 Posts

I say use it. Some folks claim that the J-Frame gun has attributes that actually render it stronger than the larger K-Frame. These attributes are mainly connected with the positioning of the notches in the cylinder and with the forcing cone. I can see their point but simply don't know for certain. All of my J-Frame guns have a been shot with +P with no apparent harm.

+P ammunition is generally cost prohibitive to shoot in quantities that will promote excessive wear in a revolver. It also is not pleasant to shoot in J-Frame guns in my view. If a person is tough enough to enjoy it and has the money to burn off a lot of +P ammunition then he can easily afford replacement revolvers.

Some firing of a favored +P load for familiarization and verification of point-of-impact would be desirable. After that, carry the gun with the chosen load and only infrequently practice with it.

I use +P 158 grain lead SWCs which seem to shoot just an inch or so lower than standard velocity 158 grain ammunition in my .38s at reasonable self defense distances. The two loads shoot close enough that meaningful practice can be had with the cheaper and less energetic standard velocity ammunition.

Chuck Hawk isn't my favorite authority on all things connected with firearms but that is only personal opinion.

Last edited by bmcgilvray; 07-20-2010 at 03:54 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: