View Single Post

Old 07-20-2010, 07:58 PM

Liked 273 Times in 138 Posts
Default PPK/S update-antibashing

A few weeks ago, we bought a new PPK/S (S&W) for the wifes CCW. As I said before, she loved the looks and the way it handles. At first, I was not too happy with it. After reading alot of bashing of the S&W versions, I did come to the conclusion S&W could put some more time into them to make better. We had a couple of issue at first, the typical FTF and a couple of jams. The finish on the frame needs some softening of the edges. It looks like the frame was ground on both sides with no de-burring of the edges, leaving them very sharp. Actually cut the web of my hand and drew blood. After shooting the first time I examined some of the spent cases and found numerous case ruptures on the Sellier and Bellot brand ammo. S&B cases are about .003" wall thickness thinner than Winchester. The ruptures started at a line on the shell. I disassembled the slide to find very sharp edges on the firing pin enclosure, which is exposed as compared to the typical S&W, the top round in the mag will ride against this surface. Also noticed that the left grip panel was rubbing on the slide. After a few hours with a stone and polishing wheel all items have been fixed or repaired and it now works like it was originally intended. The following pictures show some of the problem areas. The last pic is the wifes last session at about 15 yards with a mixture of FMJ ball and HP rounds. She is right handed and jerks the trigger, she won't listen to me.