View Single Post

Old 07-20-2010, 10:33 PM

Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Default Model 10/M&P vs. Colt's Official Police

A few shooters in our rural community have enjoyed a fascination with Model 10s/earlier M&Ps this spring and summer. A few nay-sayers in the area claim they can remember the good ol days when owners of Colt Official Police revolvers regularly whupt up on the S&W boys.

Long tale short, a local shop came up with a tight example of a 6" Colt's O.P. I couldn't resist and traded for it today. Best I can cypher from the 'net, it was born about 1943 or '44 (serial # 7051XX), sports a heavy, tapered barrel (about which the Blue Book makes no mention of availability), decent non-adj. sights and a trigger only a few ounces heavier than my 6" 10-5.

First impressions during limited range-time this afternoon:

*15 rounds of 158 gr. cast RNFP/3.5 gr. Titegroup fired from each gun

*All shots fired two-handed at 15 yards, unsupported

*The Model 10's almost round, center-to-center group measured 2.125" with 5 shots impacting the 1" "10 ring"

*Although the Colt steered 6 shots into the 10 ring, its over-all center-to-center group spanned 3.375", in a somewhat vertically strung group

*In fairness to the O.P., its plastic (Coltwood?) grips are way too skinny for me. Twice I felt the gun move as the shot broke and called its two highest shots.

Until the Colt can wear grips that fit me better and other bullets/powder combinations can be tried, the temporary nod goes to the Model 10.

Either IBM No. 44 or LBM No. 44 has been inscribed on the Colt's butt in an Old English hand-done font. Could someone offer enlightenment as to what those letters might stand for (if not someone's initials)?
The Following User Likes This Post: