View Single Post

Old 07-25-2010, 05:40 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,155 Times in 7,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
Perhaps the 5-inch barrel has something to do with it. I'll post the rest of the test over in the ammo section so differences in velocities between the barrel lengths may be seen.

I was thinking the gray (silver?) box of Winchester was current. The white box dates from about 1980. The Remington 158 grain +P is late vintage. I've heard that the Remington stuff gives a little more velocity and it seems to be so.
In trials of Gold Dot ammo in snub and three-inch barrels, the 125 grain JHP (NOT the later Short Barrel 135 grain one) clocked at or well over 900 FPS in published tests.

I don't find the figures cited for the five-inch bbl. for the 158 grain lead HP to be at all far off. In fact, I'd have expected slightly higher velocities. But I think that shooting Plus P in that old gun is risky. I sure wouldn't use Buffalo Bore in it.

S&W started heat-treating .38 cylinders in about 1919, and they wouldn't have done it, had they not seen a need. They were a tight-fisted company. Colt had better metallurgy, and their .38's were tougher, but they don't suggest Plus P in those old guns!

How expensive is Buffalo Bore lead HP ammo? Is it in boxes of 50, or fewer? I've never seen it in person, but think it might make a nice urban combat round for newer .38's and .357's.

T-Star

Last edited by Texas Star; 07-25-2010 at 05:46 PM.