Thread: S&W 640 and 642
View Single Post

Old 08-05-2010, 05:35 PM

Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Default S&W 640 and 642

Just joined, first post. Hello to everyone

I've had Glocks for years. And, being an Academy Instructor it was pretty much a necessity as we use the Glock 21 .45ACP and other agencies in the area use the Glock 22 .40 S&W.

Nowadays I'm over the hump and on the tail end of my career and I don't actively teach anymore (as far as Academy or in-service firearms). And I just wanted a change.

So, I picked up a LNIB S&W 642 .38+P. I love the size and weight of the gun and carry it as my off-duty gun in a Fobus holster. Got it for a straight trade for an older (but good condition) Glock 19 I'd had for years. It came with the square 'boot' style grip and I ordered the fuller sized grip from S&W as well.

This weekend I'm planning on picking up a S&W 640 .357 for $460 NIB with two grips (one the boot style and the other the fuller sized grip). I plan on making this my main off-duty carry piece and keep the 642 for those times when my apparel requires a bit smaller/lighter firearm (I'm thinking of looking for an ankle holster for it).

So, with that background I'd like to hear from others who have/have had either or and their comments on them. I feel I got a good deal on the 642 and the deal on the 640 is also very good. Comments on that would also be welcome.

I'm leaning on getting a box of the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel in .38+P for the 642 and in .357 for the 640.

Thank you and appreciate your comments.