View Single Post

Old 08-11-2010, 03:44 PM

Liked 59 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw702 View Post
also would like to know more about guns & ammo ownership. Thank again.
Thanks for all your compliments. As I just joined the forum, I decided to collaborate in some way with a different kind of information. I strongly believe that a forum is a two-way road, as you should also share information and not only ask.

Well concerning gun ownership in Brazil, I will try to sum it up to you.

As a general rule, a civilian is allowed to own only two guns of each type: two handguns (pistol or revolver), two rifle and two shotguns. For those guns the caliber is also limited: 380 ACP for pistols, 38 S&W Special for revolvers, 12 ga. for shotguns and .44-40 for rifles. Full automatic guns, suppressors and restricted calibers are prohibited and you can face preventive prison without bail in case of offense. These are the guns allowed for personal defense, basically.

However, if you decide to become a collector, first you must to obtain a specific authorization which is issued by the Brazilian Army’s “Controlled Products Inspection Office” (SFPC). Your criminal background is checked and several documents must be presented. The cost for the 1st certification is around US$ 500.00. The license must be renewed every two years but the costs are much cheaper: US$ 200.00. Every year you must to inform what guns are in your collection and every transfer should be reported.

At this point you may want to ask: what’s the advantage?

It is quite simple: by getting the “Firearms Collector’s License” you have no restrictions concerning caliber or quantity of guns you are allowed to own. In addition, you can also own all kind of full automatic firearms IF made prior to 1945 (which is enough to me). No modification or deactivation are needed.

Black powder guns are considered obsolete and do not require registration or authorization. However, for precaution, most collectors prefer to register this type of guns also.

Hunters and sportive shooters (IPSC, etc.) also have specific statutes. So there are gun clubs and shooting ranges down here.

There are also severe restrictions about displaying, carrying or selling collectable guns, in a way that it is virtually impossible (or VERY DIFFICULT) to have gun shows. The media (supported by the government and non-governmental organizations) is highly biased against pro-gun public.

Back in 2005 there was move to legally prohibit the gun ownership by civilians in Brazil (as happened in Australia and UK). This proposition was submitted to a public consult and, to my surprise, it was plainly rejected by 67% of the voters, in spite of all the campaign against the guns conducted by those entities. But this environment (and the endemic violence in major cities areas) made most of the collectors became more and more low profile and reclusive during the last ten years.

So, you must to rely only on your network with other collectors to find the guns. This is the only source we have, as there is no gun shows at all as you have in US.

I think that's it. Feel free to ask any further questions.

Douglas.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: