View Single Post

Old 08-11-2010, 08:49 PM

Liked 527 Times in 144 Posts

In 1989 I bought an Interarms Walther PPK from a local gun shop that was going out of business. It was a display model in stainless and the price was well below retail. My work schedule was hectic so I put the gun away in my safe. Almost six month later I took it out and field stripped it.

While the gun looked pristine on the outside, the inside was not. What I saw was bad workmanship. The frame’s right side slide groove was poorly machined with jagged metal its entire length. The feed ramp was not smooth—it looked carved out.

After a thorough cleaning I took it out for a test. I loaded both factory magazines with Winchester 95 GR FMJ’s. The grip magazine feed all rounds flawlessly. When I inserted the flat bottom mag and tried to chamber the first round, no luck—failure to feed jam again and again.

At 17 lbs., the double action pull is unbelievably stiff and long. The first time I shot it, I had to check to make sure the safety was not engaged. I could not pull the trigger in DA with the tip of my finger. On the other hand, the single action pull is light and the hammer breaks nicely. I have small hands but even so it manages to bite me at least once an outing. If my shooting hand rides up ever so slightly, ouch!

I’ve feed my PPK rounds form different manufactures with no problem except for Independence ammo—failure to feed about every third round. I’ve even put Winchester 85 GR Silver Tip HP’s through it without a hiccup.

Even with its flaws, I like the gun. It’s very accurate and fun to shoot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PPK_1.jpg (90.8 KB, 621 views)
File Type: jpg PPK_2.jpg (77.7 KB, 641 views)
File Type: jpg PPK_3.jpg (46.1 KB, 419 views)