View Single Post

Old 08-13-2010, 01:34 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,099 Times in 1,249 Posts

Quality Colt and Smith & Wesson revolvers seem to generate approving remarks these days. The last time I had the simple ol' Model 17 K-22 out when other gun club members were present proved to be a sensation with all lining up to give it a try. "It's so "old-school" yet effective" was one remark. Makes a fellow feel his age since he's owned it since it was new.

Any U.S. military issue rifle from World War II or earlier is a head-turner I've found.

A .405 WCF chambered Winchester Model 1895 that I own is one of the more fun rifles to pull out at a rifle range. Everyone has to see it and most want to give it a try. I make 'em shoot it from the bench rest for full effect if they brag about recoil tolerance too much.

A .405 and a .308 side by side

A couple of years ago though I was verifying the 95's sights at a crowded range just before opening of deer season and had a fellow take me to task for shooting it with jacketed bullets. Claimed I would "wash the rifling out" in only a few shots, not preserving it for future collectors. Bit of a nuisance, he was.