View Single Post

Old 08-13-2010, 09:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Model 629-2, unfluted cylinder, 3" barrel...I am new to this!

....I think I just lucked into one. I traded off a Taurus Raging Bull in .44 magnum for it (okay, so I added a little cash as well ). But I feel it was worth it. Kept trying to look it up and see how rare it is (or isn't), but in the end, I'm just happy to have a .44 mag that is handy enough for me to carry. Don't get me wrong, I like the Taurus a good deal, as an 8 3/8" barrel and porting makes the .44 pretty easy to shoot, but I'm not very recoil sensitive to begin with, and I have sizeable hands.

But this gun....just seemed "right." It just fits. What kind of accuracy can I expect from it at distances up to 25 yards or so? Will I lose much in the way of velocity and energy from a shorter barrel .44? Also, what are good loads to carry/shoot from this platform? I already have some .44 special loads that I plan to carry (Gold Dot hollow points), but I will probably also carry some magnum loads once me and this pistola get comfy. Any recommendations? Have some PMC Eldorado Starfire .44 mag loads in 240 grain flavor.

I welcome any and all advice, warnings, admonitions, and enthusiastic emanations. I'm not new to guns, but I'm new to THIS gun.