View Single Post

Old 08-27-2010, 11:04 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Smile My New (used) M617!

Walked into my favorite local gun store Tuesday to look at a Stainless Ruger Bearcat that I had seen in the case last Saturday. I was curious and thought maybe I might just pick it up.

As I stood there waiting for the owner to come out of his office, I watched him approach with a gun in his hand that he was just tying a tag onto. I asked him what he had and it turned out to be an M617, 4", 10-shot, that he had just taken in. His gunsmith had taken it down, done a thorough clean and lube on it and checked the timing, lockup, and all.

I quit looking at the Ruger and asked him if I could see the Smith. He handed it to me, smiling, and I looked it all over, top-strap to butt-bottom and muzzle to back-strap. Checked everything that should be checked. I liked it. I really liked it.

I've been thinking of adding one of these to my other two K-Frames, and this looked like a good opportunity to get a nice one at a decent price.

So, we haggled. He said I was the first one to see it and he didn't think it would stay long, so he really didn't want to drop the price yet. I knew it wouldn't, but I haggled anyway. He finally made me an offer that I didn't feel I could refuse. I got it for $419 plus tax. From everything I've seen over the last 6 months, I think I got a decent deal on it.

Buying used when possible has always seemed to make more sense to me. And, I think it paid off again. I picked it up today and I'm still quite pleased with my purchase.

I love S&W K-Frames, and I love .22 revolvers. So, this is a real sweet addition. I'll take it back to the shop and shoot it on his range Sunday. Didn't have time today.

Just thought I'd tell everyone about my new addition.