View Single Post

Old 09-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Banned

Liked 576 Times in 307 Posts
Question HMMMMMMMM.

OK, I'll play. But first, am I left to guess that the caliber you are loading is 44MAGNUM? Either of those bullets will fit in several 44 caliber firearms. Giving load data when we aren't 100% sure of the caliber is kinda, dangerous, don'tchathink?

I've had 180gr 44Spl bullets almost bounce off (not literally) of our Indiana deer when shot from a handgun. From a long gun? Maybe.

As for loading for friends, I have several that will be afield again this year carrying my reloads as their mainstay. So far, since Indiana has opened some pistol caliber rifles for deer hunting, I think over 10 deer have been taken with my loads.

The longest shot from the Marlin 1894s that are out there with my load was 135 yards and while it was a doe, it was DRT. The next longest was just over 100 yards and that buck didn't even know what hit him.

Here is a bullet that was recovered from one of the kills.

From the Marlin, I have been successfully getting upwards of 1800fps with any JSP/JHP you wanna throw down field. Accuracy has been good. Not MOA but good.

My personal load used to take hogs with employs a 240gr XTP though and is deadly at 1900+fps from either of my Marlin 1894 in 44Mag.

Since it is just a guess what you are going to be shooting them out of and what actual caliber it is, I'm not going to put any data out there.

p.s. Here are a few pictures of the performance my loads have done on deer. The ram was shot with the XTP load as well as the hog.