View Single Post

Old 09-06-2010, 12:32 PM

Liked 1,017 Times in 359 Posts
Default SW CQB Opinions Needed

I made the decision to sell my CQB based on its been sitting since 2005, I am no collector and all 1911 right now.

I shoot LEO competively and made the call to go all 1911 since that is what I carry on duty and practice for matches also means practice with my duty carry.

The CQB actually sold but due to state restrictions that the CQB was not on the list, the buyer had to withdraw. No harm no foul and I thought, maybe I am suppose to keep.

However, I have been thinking the past few days. I dont plan to shoot or carry this gun on duty again because of the following...

Basically the dept I worked for said no single action 1911 type (I recall the chief back then looking me square in the eye and said "NO 1911s". he was a butt!) and wanted to carry something different than Glock and actually liked the complexity of SW 3rd Gen which lead me to the CQB. In my opinion....one of the best DA first shot combat autos out there.

However a few years back, new administration and the general order changed to carry 1911 type, I have been carrying 1911 since those changes.

There were a few factory flaws on the CQB in my opinion from a combat or duty carry standpoint
*No night sights
*Sharp edges which in my opinion are a big negative on a weapon you want to be fast handling out of the holster or shooting ambi without cutting your hands.

I fixed both of those issues but made the cosmetics of the weapon less than pretty, but pretty was low on the totem pole over fast handling to get into action....so I dehorned the black slide (which is stainless steel covered in black also know as black magic, a process of blackening stainless steel. this black magic is not very holster wear resistant). anyway the edges of my slide are dehorned which exposes the bare stainless.

On the alloy frame (or any SW DA frame) where the trigger guard meets the front strap...is an edge which leads to what I refer to is "SW Middle Finger". When you grab it fast out of a holster and go to a 1000 round training school or match....you will find out fast what SW Middel Finger is. It will rub you raw or at least my big 3X paws (where your middle finger rides on the trigger guard/front strap area)....so I rounded that area off with a file which exposes unanodized aluminum. no worries as the thin layer of hardness anodizing protects the frame from wear has no wear potential there.

Having large hands, the spurred hammer would bit the webbing of my hand when I applied a quick grab from the holster and my dremel fixed the constant "snake bite" of the edge of the hammer digging its fang into me. I still have a faint SW bite mark on my right hand web area.

Being an alloy frame, I have well over 13K rounds through this piece I bought used, however its still tighter than any production 3rd gen piece and capable of nice grouping with standard ball. No signs of any issues with the alloy frame with this mileage.

I have temporarily taken this gun off the market but plan to sell it again because I want a lwt commander 1911 type carry piece.

QUESTIONS
I basically had one hit with this gun and I know the economy and the used gun market is thin and everyone wants deals.

I priced my CQB for $650 + shipping in its current condition with two PC mags and the original SW tagged black plastic box. (they currently sell for clean used to new from 800 to 1000+)

I am not looking to make $$$ on a piece that only 200 were made, but if you were me and you wanted to sell this piece or you potentially buy it....

would the current state (cosmetics) make it a desirable buy at $650 + shipping

or

should I have it refinished by SW back to original finishes and add the cost of the refinish to the 650?
black magic slide
black all exterior small components
clear anodized frame
Laser etched PC markings

I called SW for a factory refinish job years ago and they could not give me a definite price because it was unique on what I wanted done.

your opinions are appreciated?

Since this was a personal duty carry piece and by dept regs, I am not able to provide any departmental letterhead of me carrying this piece on duty.

if you have a contact for SW on refinishing, I would appreciate it to see if I can wire down a price.

thanks in advance

sorry for the big pics, but wanted to show the detail of my dehorn job. there is not a finger or handcutting edge one on this gun. you can also see where I rolled the edge of the frame where the right hand middle finger would make contact. compare to the other side and you can see a slight difference.

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 09-06-2010 at 12:37 PM.