Thread: 3-inch L-Frames
View Single Post

Old 09-13-2010, 11:47 PM

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaz602 View Post
KoiBoy:

For concealed carry I would choose the 686+. It is slightly smaller and holds 7 rounds of .357. The 125gr JHP .357 has always been regarded as the best 1-shot mansopper ever. Recoil with the 3 inch full lug barrel is manageable and the balance is fantastic.

The .44 mag is good for bears not not a great defensive round on humans. .44 special is much better in that regard. It is well balanced also but recoil is a bit much with magnums and pretty mild with specials.

That being said, they make such a nice pair that you really should get both
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate the help. I have a couple more questions for you:

You say that the 686 is a little smaller than the 629 - could you elaborate? Is it because the frame on the 629 is larger and the wheel is larger? I can't tell from your picture because the 686 is closer to the camera, but it appears that the the barrel is shorter on the 629 and the hammer rides higher off of the frame? Any other differences you have noticed regarding build on the two?

Sorry to bother but I am still trying to make up my mind between the two - even though I'd like to follow your lead and buy both!