View Single Post

Old 09-15-2010, 06:47 PM
Banned

Liked 42 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester View Post
I have a special place in my heart for Robert Parker. It was his Spenser books that got me in to reading for pleasure. An uncle of mine introduced me to it. Before that I just read what I had to.

I've read everything he has written and was saddened to hear of his passing. I also like the Stone, Randall and also the old west series of books, one of which was made in to a movie, Appaloosa.

I have to say, though, that every book he writes has the same character with the same set of moral codes. That's fine and all but it did get a little tiring.

I have not seen any of the Stone movies but will eventually. I like Selleck and think he was perfectly cast for the role, though he is quite a bit older than the character. The only bit of one of the movies I saw was a bit disappointing. They changed the race of Molly, his assistant and front desk officer. I guess they felt they needed to for the movie but if you read that character, it just didn't fit. Don't know if they kept that up all the way through the rest of the movies.
RBP literally taught me how to read. Like I said before, I never read a book (without pictures ) in my entire life until I picked up one of Parker's. To me, they are a simple read. Kinda like The Cat In The Hat or something. A good 70% of his writing is a conversation between two or more people. His dialogue is outstanding and he can describe a person in a single sentence.

I was also taken back by Molly's character in the movies, played by Viola Davis. While she is a charming woman and a very gifted actress, she's no white, blonde Irish Catholic mother of four.

Oh well. She only stars in Stone Cold, Night Passage and a small cameo in Sea Change which introduces us to "Rose" who is played by award winning actress Kathy Baker. What's funny is that there is never a character by the name of "Rose" in any of the Jesse Stone books. However, Sunny Randall has a miniture bull terrier named "Rosie" which was based on Joan Parker's (RBP'S widow) own miniture bull terrier. In the books, Rosie gets referred to as a possum or an aardvark several times.

Sadly, Rosie passed on last year and RBP made a point in Split Image to also write that Sunny's Rosie passed as well.

Last edited by Glock 'em down; 09-15-2010 at 07:12 PM.