View Single Post

Old 09-19-2010, 02:55 PM

Liked 9,227 Times in 3,407 Posts

I'm not real crazy about the smell. I must not be alone as they have come out with a 'pine scented' version of late.
Same stuff, just a different smell and in a green tube instead of the yellow one.,,and the dealers usually have the new stuff marked a dollar more..

I use it for my M/L patch lube. I have found a 50/50 mix with Crisco melted together works a bit better than straight BButter. A little thicker consistancy.
There are more recipes for patch lube than M/L shooters it seems but this is about as far as I care or need to take it.
No wiping between shots using it. I've shot up to 23 shots from my Flintlock w/o wiping out the bore. Just as easy on the 23rd shot as those loaded before. Could have gone on from there but I ran out of RB's.

I was suprised that when the two are put into a tin to be melted/blended,,,the BButter melts almost immediately as a gentle heat from a propane torch is applied at a safe distance underneath. The lump of Crisco remaines in tact well after the BButter has melted. Then the two blend together nicely.

The heating/melting/cooling seems to diminish the original smell of the stuff. A plus as far as I'm concerned!

I haven't used it for anything else but I'd have to guess it does a nice job as a metal protector,,,maybe less so with some Crisco in it though!