View Single Post

Old 10-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Liked 48,872 Times in 9,293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olypenn222 View Post
............................Seller told me the revolver belonged to her Grandfather and was his WSP duty revolver. No WSP markings on the revolver, had one once before with no stamping that lettered to the hardware store in Tacoma, WA that sold 38/44's to the WSP.
oly,
I was commenting about this when I said-
Quote:
Originally Posted by handejector View Post
Interesting.
I thought WSP stamped all their fixed sight guns on the backstrap. I have seen several HD's and 1926's that were so marked- or actually ground where they had been marked.

The confusion comes from the fact the all WSP issued revolvers prior were most likely WSP engraved marked on the backstrap. All of the model 1950 HD's (including the pictured one above) I have seen for some reason have had the WSP stamp removed when the trooper retired, leaving a polished or matt spot on the backstrap, next time I speak to the retired WSP armorer I will ask him about this.
Not really any confusion- the 28's could not be marked on the backstrap because they are grooved.

At the annual meeting, I sold a 6.5" Transition Mod 1926-44 Spec that had the ground backstrap. It lettered to the hardware store you speak of. It had a swivel drilled thru the # and the ser number was restamped under left grip.
I have examined two others like it that had ground backstraps, but traces of lettering remained- enough to confirm that they were stamped "Washington State Patrol" or "Wash. State Patrol". As I recall, Washington was completely spelled out.
I currently have a 6.5 post-war HD, S154XXX that shows moderate honest holster wear with a ground backstrap. All numbers match, including grips.
So, what I really wonder-
Does anyone know WHO marked the guns? Were they marked at the factory, by the dealer (in-house or subbed), or by the WSP???
If they marked some, why aren't they all marked??

We gots to know these things.
I may not sleep again till we find out......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1554.JPG (89.4 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1557.JPG (93.5 KB, 371 views)
The Following 5 Users Like Post: