View Single Post

Old 10-05-2010, 09:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default T-9 Boe Shield

I work for the Boeing Co. and some time ago I was made aware of a product originally produced by Boeing for flight control cables - now mostly replaced with "fly by wire" on commercial aircraft. The name of the product is T-9 Boeshield. It has a fair amount of waxes, and is currently marketed at about $12 for an 11 oz. spray can for marine applications and similar corrosive environments.
Shortly after I became aware of the product, a colleague sent me a copy of a test done for long term storage of firearms. Among products selling for upwards of $30 a can, the test included Boeshield, and consisted of high stress tests like salt fog, salt water emersion, etc. Surprising to me, the no. 1 product was vaseline - that's right - simple petroleum jelly. The no.2 product from the test was T-9 Boeshield!
I do not recommend it for short term storage, as I started using it in place of simple gun oil after shooting and cleaning and found that it wasn't long before it actually gummed up my Beretta 22 pistol and caused loading problems. So I returned to gun oil after regular cleaning, but use T-9 Boeshield routinely on a cleaned gun for long term storage. Sears carried it for some time, but it is widely available online.

Last edited by vincentbs1; 10-05-2010 at 10:09 AM.