Thread: S&W Model 59
View Single Post

Old 10-06-2010, 12:18 AM

Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia1727 View Post
Anyone out there a Model 59 expert? ...If anyone has one can they please tell me how well they like/dislike it? ...I mainly want one to plink and tear up paper with. ...Trying to stay under $300.00.
I am not an expert, nor do I play one on TV. However, I did buy a Model 59 a few years back at the local Gander Mountain for right about $300, out the door including tax.

I like it. I have somewhat larger hands, and I am comfortable with the fat, double-stack grip which is just fine with me. It works well and is fun for plinking and poke-a-hole-in-paper fun. It is every bit as accurate as I can shoot it. I would not hesitate to put it into concealed carry duty.

It is only 'drop-safe' when the safety/decock lever in the 'safe' position, should that be of any concern to you. I understand that the only way it may fire if dropped requires it to hit from just the right height and at just the right angle, so it is not a great risk and not a deal breaker for me.

I choose to leave it decocked with the safety/decock lever up or 'off-safe' which leaves the heavier DA 1st round pull and trigger finger management as the operating safeties. This is consistent with the drill for my other guns; you may choose to leave the lever up or down as you like.

In plinker duty it has had a diet of mostly ball ammo, which it eats without problem. I have not fed it anything more exotic, but would before putting it into carry duty.

From my perspective, if you can find one for $300 or less, and it is not obviously beaten within an inch of its life, go for it!