View Single Post

Old 10-06-2010, 12:20 PM
US Veteran

Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts

For those of you trying to find some Mercury, try the Clinical Engineering Department at your local hospital, or a medical equipment repair business. Mercurial sphygmomanometers ( Mercury column Blood Pressure measuring devices) are still in use in many hospitals and physician practices and they have to be topped up when someone manages to break or dislodge the glass tube. (I know from personal experience since I've repaired and refilled hunderds of those critters after they have been fumble-fingered) Also, if your local hospital has gone to non-mercury BP meters, where are the old ones they removed from service? Each one had several ounces of Hg in it.

As for de-leading, with the exception of the rimfire types, the last cylinder or magazine through any revolver or pistol I take to the range is FMJ, followed by a few passes of a BoreSnake dampened with Kroil before it cools off. For rimfire, it's just the BoreSnake/Kroil while warm routine.

Of course, prevention is better than cure, so I use Lee Liquid Alox on all the lead bullets I use for reloading.

John