Thread: S&W Elite Gold
View Single Post

Old 10-07-2010, 09:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I own an Elite Gold, as do half a dozen of my friends. I got my 28" double trigger English stocked one from CDNN in August 2010, but I see them for sale now (Oct 2010) from Cabela's Gun Library, James Wayne and Bill Hanus. Prices vary from $1200 up, depending on the desirability of the configuration. 28" sells first.

Other than a heavy trigger pull on some of the early single trigger ones, the gun is excellent. Forth far more than the price. It is made by UTAS in Turkey, the same plant that made the Kimber Marias and Valier. It has nothing to do with Huglu quality.

It has a modest amount of real hand engraving, the barrel is properly rust, not hot, blued. The case coloring is bone/charcoal, not cyanide.

None of our seven guns have required any work or have had any malfunctions. My gun has a bit over 3,000 rounds without a hitch.

My 28" gun weighs 6# 7oz with a slight weight forward bias. It would be easier to carry if it were a couple of ounces lighter and a bit more neutral, but it shoots better the way it is set up.

The fixed chokes are all listed as IC/Mod. Mine measured .010" and.015". Others I measured were .011" and .017" and .014"/.014". Barrels are chromed, OK for steel. 3" chambers for the masochists among you.

At under $1500, this gun is the best deal I've seen around. It's a pity that S&W abandoned it. I hope that UTAS can get a US distributor because these guns are simply too good to fade away.