View Single Post

Old 10-07-2010, 12:16 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,095 Times in 1,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith View Post
I have a question to all who use the M 1917 not only as a safe queen but for shooting the gun.

Do these M 1917 45 ACP revolvers regularly shoot to point of aim at 25 yards?

What about replacement parts? Are they still available today?

What should be considered when purchasing a M 1917 for using it as a working gun?

Thank you
My Smith & Wesson Model 1917 shoots to point of aim with most any 230 jacketed or cast lead .45 ACP factory equivalent load as well as heavier 250-255 grain cast lead bullets intended for use in .45 Colt.

My Colt Model 1917 groups well but shoot low and left with all the above loads.

Replacement parts? I've not required any replacement parts for the 1917's I've owned but the internet is your friend and scarcely anything can't be immediately found there...for a price.

Ask and ye shall receive. The Forum can be a great place to obtain needed parts and members appear to be considerate in trying to help out.

If you are going to put a Model 1917 to work (and there's no good reason not to do so) then just keep it cleaned and lubricated. Don't expect a really nice example to maintain its collectible value once put to work but a garden variety worn example could retain most of its value while giving service if cared for.

If they don't suffer from such stupidity as slinging the cylinder shut Hollywood style or abuse with over-hot handloads, the Model 1917 will likely give absolutely no trouble. They are pretty sturdy and spry for being 90-year-olds.
The Following User Likes This Post: