View Single Post

Old 10-12-2010, 12:47 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 3,345 Times in 570 Posts
Default Model of 1891 first model single shot, real or fake?

So on Saturday, I saw a friend of mine was selling a first model of 1891 single shot at a gun show. I got all excited because of the rarity. It was a 22, but still rare. So I bought it. Its a 6 in and nickel. Stock is gorgeous, finish has only about 50% left.

Well today, I was going to post it on here to share with you all when I became concerned. The gun has 4 characteristics which have me concerned about its authenticity:

1) The SN is not on the front strap. Every reference I had including pics of other 1891 single shot 1st models have the SN on the front strap. On my gun, it is on the bottom of the butt, like any other S&W revolver.

2) The grips are not SN'd at all. Almost as if they were ordered as factory extras....

3) The barrel is not numbered in the usual spot. Its not numbered at all. Could it be a later add on?

4) The latch is not numbered, at all. Added on?

The SN is 10XXX. I suppose the saying "never say never with S&W" holds some merit here but I really suspect this to be be a 3rd model 38 SA with a later S&W 22 LR SS barrel. What say you guys? Is the SN early enough for this to be a rare early variation?

The Following 2 Users Like Post: