Thread: Pet Guns?
View Single Post

Old 10-12-2010, 08:25 AM

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Default Pet Guns?

I have been fortunate enough to have been able to buy, sell, and trade, as well as accumulate a fair number of guns over the years. Most were pretty decent guns. Most of them spend most of the time unused, locked in the safe. There are a few, that for some reason, I become attached to and are used frequently. They somehow fit me. I am not sure what causes this to happen. It is not condition or brand. The best way I can describe it is usefulness. Several years ago I traded for a Series 70 Colt Government Model 1911. It was in 85% or so condition and wore a pair of ratty old Pachmyer grips. It also had a full length guide rod and had been fitted with Micro sights. I replaced the split barrel bushing with a fitted one from Ed Brown and replaced the full length guide rod with a factory one. I also replaced the springs, installed a longer trigger, and replaced the barrel link and pin. The only thing else that I did was to put on a set of smooth walnut Colt grips that I had and darken the worn areas with Oshpo. It has become one of the pet guns that I described above. It is more accurate than I am and I can't remember the last time it jammed. I have several other 1911s but this is the one I usually take to the range. Do any of you have guns like this?