View Single Post

Old 10-13-2010, 11:04 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 2,377 Times in 787 Posts

I'm attaching a few shots of this Model 1 to give people a better idea what I'm dealing with.

The first shot gives a good idea of the overall condition. The nickel plating is intact, but there's plenty of spots where it's worn through entirely. The second shot of the barrel shows the same thing, although the barrel seems to have fared a bit better (although the plating on the muzzle end is completely worn). The cylinder (in the third shot) shows the most corrosion, and I can see traces of rust scale in the bores.

The fourth shot shows the sundry bits and pieces. Except for the screw that holds the split spring to the cylinder lock lever, and the set screw to hold the barrel clasp in place, it appears to be complete.

The last shot shows the grips. I never really paid attention to these until this morning, and I'm wondering what exactly they are? If I didn't know better I'd guess some sort of ivory, but I don't know better and won't make this assumption. However, I won't do *anything* with the grips until I know what I'm dealing with. There's a small chip missing from the bottom of the right hand grip, but they're otherwise complete and in pretty good shape, although the left grip has a few surface cracks near the brass sleeve.

The serial number of this gun is 676xx, which I believe puts it about halfway through the production run of 3rd issues. Circa 1875 or so, perhaps?

Cheers,
-- Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010635.jpg (68.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg P1010637.jpg (72.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg P1010638.jpg (73.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg P1010639.jpg (75.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg P1010640.jpg (55.8 KB, 46 views)