View Single Post

Old 10-22-2010, 04:32 PM

Liked 95 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFireman View Post
What the heck does that mean?

I was taught to deliver the minimum amount of force needed to stop a threat. If one shot puts him on the ground and unwilling to continue the attack, then that's what he gets....if he retreats at the very sight of my weapon, then that's what he gets....if I fire all 5/6 rounds and then have to beat him into unconsciousness with the butt end of my gun, that's what he gets....I don't shoot a whole bunch of rounds and then open my eyes and look to see what happened...and, I sure wouldn't tell anybody else to that either.

Gosh...I sure hope that the OP was kidding...you were kidding right?
Just guessing here, but I believe what PersonalSecurity was alluding to is to be prepared to fire as many shots as it takes, not to arbitrarily empty your 16 round magazine "towards" the bad guy and then look for bits and pieces of him later. In some cases, there could certainly be a need for more than 5 or 6 rounds, especially in a situation where there are multiple attackers involved.

As to the OP and the .500 S&W Magnum, I've got to ask, have you ever shot one before? If you have, then you'd know that it is probably NOT the kind of handgun that would be ideal for use during a dynamic critical incident.