View Single Post

Old 10-24-2010, 12:20 AM

Liked 877 Times in 265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorFarmer View Post
Strange how the crowd here has changed over the years. Oh well.

A number of people here have toted X Frame revolvers, generally the .500s with reduced loads.

I don't have one myself, I'm told that with a reduced load, recoil is no worse than a decently powered .44 Mag round out of a 4" Model 629/29. I've carried one of those. Carried a Model 58 for a time too. Lots of guys on here have carried full size steel 1911s, N frames, etc.

The general reason behind carrying a relatively large and powerful revolver is when someone is worried about animals as well as people.

Someone will google the question and I don't see why it doesn't deserve a real answer, regardless of the OP's intent.
The first rational and well considered answer I've seen on this thread..... Great post, Gator Farmer!

I've gotta ask how many of these opinionated posters have owned a 500 or have even shot one? If many of you actually considered the minimal weight difference in a 4" N frame and a 4" X frame it might just enlighten you. Anyone who has shot a "heavy" 500 realizes how beautifully controllable it can be, and with light to moderate loads, how unmatched it could be as a very potent self defense weapon and caliber.

The idea everyone would use only hot factory ammo in a 500 negates the realization most would use lighter loaded ammo in the 900 to 1100 fps range, just like most users of other magnum calibers do.

I remember much the same arguments directed at 41 and 44 Mags when they were first developed. Those calibers have certainly proved their usefulness and worth many times over through the years in spite of the unfounded criticisms.

Yea, they're big.... too big for daily carry for many people. But if I had a good idea I was headed into a firefight give me a 500 even with their limited shot capacity. I'd take my chances on making one of the five count even if I had to shoot through brick walls, automobiles, or use it to disable engine blocks....

I own and shoot many of the pistol mentioned on this thread. I carried a 6" 57 as a duty gun for many years. I've hunted big game very successfully for over 30 years (large bull elk and bear) with 41 and 44 N frames. I'm now using a 6.5" 500. I would invite everyone to research the development of the 1911 and why it was created before making a judgment about "adequate man-stoppers" or "too much" stopping power.... Any LEO who has actually faced a PCP hyped adversary will understand what I mean...

JMHO.....