View Single Post

Old 10-26-2010, 09:03 AM
US Veteran

Liked 2,401 Times in 1,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Box View Post
Glad your ok, I use a high volume powder so if I would pull the handle 2 times with out indexing the powder spills out the top of the case makes a mess, but thats better then a blown up gun! HERCO works good in 45,10mm,38special. Using a powder like win231 in a 38 special case if its a light load you can triple charge it and no powder will come out of top of case.
The .38 Special and .357 are the ones that really worry me. A .45 I can see the powder level in when placing the bullet prior to seating. Same goes for 9mm, .40, and to a lesser degree 10mm. .38's and .357's are very difficult to see into and will EASILY accept a double or triple charge. Of course you've still got to make a conscious effort to look each time you place a bullet. Advancing the shell plate on a 550 is an automatic response to me, having loaded tens of thousands of rounds on one. The potential for mishap is when something happens like a primer doesn't seat properly. I have to stop and remove the already charged case from the shellplate prior to cycling the handle again or a double charge will obviously occur. Someone over on the Brian Enos forum was working on some sort of electronic powder check for the 550 a few years ago and had a working prototype as I recall. Anyone ever hear anything about this?