Thread: Bodyguard 380
View Single Post

Old 10-27-2010, 01:31 AM
US Veteran

Liked 1,359 Times in 451 Posts

I was a big proponant of the Bodyguard 380 when they first came out and liked it more than my Kahr P380 and hugely more than the LCP. I always shoot a couple hundred rounds thru any gun before I carry it to be sure it will be reliable. I love the feel of the pistol and the laser is great. At a little over 600 rounds it came apart on me, the takedown pin came out and the slide was launched off the frame. Talk about a bad feeling, this was the first pistol out of 100s I've owned that came apart while firing. I sent it back to the factory and S&Ws customer service is topshelf. Got it back with a new frame and serial number "EAB" but it was the old style frame unlike the one pictured above. I just lost confidence in the pistol and my dealer took it back.
What a shame because I really liked the BG380, I'll think about buying another next year when I'm more confidant the bugs are worked out. The new redesigned frame with the collar around the laser activation buttons is the frame you want on yours. The early EAB frames do not have this collar and I believe are the same as the EAA original frames. So when I sart seeing EAC numbers perhaps I'll try this gun again.
Luckily my Bodyguard 38 revolver has been troublefree from the get go, I wish my 380 had been.