View Single Post

Old 10-27-2010, 07:17 PM

Liked 170 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkenfast View Post
Beautiful pics, everyone! I had (and stupidly sold), a nickeled six-inch 57 back in the late 70's. Any concensus on which is the preferred barrel length on this revolver? I've never had a four-inch N-frame, but they look awfully handy, and I found the six-inch 57 to be a bit heavy. Are the shorter lengths a lot harder to handle (recoil and accuracy)? How about versus a four-inch Model 29?

Thinking back to somewhere around mid 1978, the brother in law was being ridiculed by a fellow worker, who thought that he could out shoot anybody and everybody with his snub nosed 38 spl.

They both agreed to a bullseye match at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards, respectively.

The brother in law arrived at the match with a new T/C Super 14 in .44 Rem Mag caliber, using factory 240 gr jacketed ammunition.

No matter how well the challenger could handle his short barreled 38 spl revolver, the superior sighting plane, superior sights, and rock steady aiming of the "big" T/C handed an easy defeat to the challenger.

If Your needs dictate a fast & handy revolver, go 4".

Want to shoot the wings off flies at 50 paces? Go with 6" or 8-3/8" for recoil control and a better sighting plane. Of course, a real hot rock shooter can likely do just as well with a 4" gun. Practice, practice, practice.