View Single Post

Old 11-05-2010, 03:30 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerguy53 View Post
About a year ago, my younger son, fresh out of college, submitted an application to a prominent, and legendary, US Government law enforcement agency, one that is known for its very tough standards, its rigorous training, and its vitally important mission.

The selection process was excruciating. After they vetted his application, this agency invited him to take their written test. Following that he underwent an interview, an interrogation by an interview board, a very difficult polygraph exam, a thorough background check, and a comprehensive physical (including, at the tender age of 23, his first prostate exam!).

He was hired several weeks ago, and began his training at his agency's academy. It's tough, challenging, and exhilarating, and he is being tested each and every day. So far, he's doing well, bonding with his classmates, learning a lot about both his new job and himself, and pushing himself to do things he never knew he was capable of doing.

My proudest moment as a father occurred last summer, when my son was interrogated, and his then-prospective employer was asking him about drug use. Looking for a Bill Clinton-style answer, they asked him 50 different ways whether he'd ever smoked pot, or used any other illegal substances. He assured them he had not, and when they demanded to know why, he told them, truthfully, that when he was growing up, his Dad had said if he ever caught him smoking, it wouldn't be cancer that killed him!

I am sure most of us here have children who are doing well, of whom we are very proud. But I am still in awe over my son being selected for this agency (I myself would never have qualified) and I ask my fellow Forum members for their prayers for his success and safety.

Thanks! :-)
Having spent the last 25 years as a member of a US Government law enforcement agency (one that is known for its very tough standards, its rigorous training, and its vitally important mission - to use your words), which has an interrogation panel and rigorous training make it sound like the agencies are one and the same. Maybe, maybe not.

Either way, it is good to see there are still great candidates to carry on the job and traditions. My agency is big on tradition and hopefully always will. Of course in the old days the motto was, when I started, 62 years of tradition unhampered by progress. Fortunately in the ensuing years we've begun embracing progress and technology. The old ways still have to be learned because, technology being technology, sometimes thing don't work and you have to rely on old timey skill.

Congrats on raising a fine kid. Do keep us posted on his academy status as he nears graduation. So far it has been a heck of an adventure and provided well for my family. I have to retire in about 5 1/2 years, so bring on the new guys (and gals).