View Single Post

Old 11-12-2010, 10:31 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,099 Times in 1,249 Posts

"Let's see the pictures of those guns that have been with you a long, long time..."

Hey! It was just the other day. It doesn't seem all that long since they were first acquired!

These have been shown several times in the past few months.

This Model 14-4 and Model 17-4 were purchased as a pair, brand new in early 1980, for literally around $40. It was during the time that silver spiked and I scooped a few rolls of common date Roosevelt dimes out of the bottom of the coin box that had been bought at face value, sold them for something like $21 on the dollar and purchased the pair of revolvers. Also purchased a pair of the very first extended-wear contact lenses for my wife at the same time. The Model 14 cost $209 and the Model 17 cost $259.

I had been wanting an 8 3/8-inch Model 14 for several years. It was a dream gun of mine. Since I was feeling flush, I purchased the Model 17-4 with matching long barrel. Didn't actually think I'd really like the Model 17 at the time of purchase. Never dreamed that I'd end up firing more rounds through it than any other firearm I've ever owned while the Model 14 may have had 1500 rounds fired through it.

Model 14-4

Model 17-4

A few months later though I paid through the nose for this Model 29-2 but it was worth it. It was $489, take it or leave it, back when the Model 29 could be sold well above suggested list. This one was used for hunter pistol silhouette competition for 4 seasons, has taken a couple of deer, and has been used for a lot of fun plinking and handload development work. It never has given trouble using heavy loads.

Model 29-2

After trading in and out of several new and used Model 19, Model 28, and Model 27 .357 revolvers, I settled down with this 6-inch Model 27-2 in about 1981. I shot some hunter pistol silhouette competition with it before getting out of the discipline when they began allowing scopes in competition. Original purchase price was $295.

Model 27-2

A couple more, purchased new that didn't stick around. Wished I'd kept them now.

Prior to obtaining the 6-inch Model 27 above I had purchased an 8 3/8-inch Model 27. This one seemed so nice and matched the other long-barreled revolvers that had been accumulated, but must have had a "slow" barrel. Most .357 Magnum handloads gave higher velocities from the 6-inch barrel than they did from the 8 3/8-inch barrel. The 8 3/8-inch Model 27 was used once to swat at an owl who tried to land on a friend and me while I was blowing a wounded rabbit call one evening.

A nice new 4-inch blue Model 19 came and went sometime in the late 1970s/early 1980s.

Last edited by bmcgilvray; 11-12-2010 at 10:48 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: