View Single Post

Old 11-14-2010, 04:02 PM

Liked 153 Times in 88 Posts
Default Need Help Dating 5 screw S & W - information needed

Hi - I'm new to the forum and S & Ws. I like "older" revolvers - have a 1909 Colt Army Special - 6" barrel - 38 spl. and have been looking for a S & W about same era or a little later - am looking at this one - 38spl - 6" barrel - 5 screw frame. I'm attaching some photos - can anyone out there give me an educated guess on the age of this revolver based on the photos I'm attaching? I've emailed the dealer for the serial # but haven't heard back from them yet - probably will the beginning of the week. It's my undeerstanding that serial numbeers and dating of S & W are sometimes difficult to do because of lack of records? I know that this one has wear to the finish - I don't mind that as I am looking for a "shooter" for plinking and target practice. This one looks to have honest holster wear to it and as I said I can live with that. Based on the photos - I'd hazzard a 50% maybe a little more on the finish? Also - based on the photos - approzimate fair value? I'm hoping that based on the grip style, ejector rod, sights, etc. someone may be able to give a rough ball-park estimate of mfg. date and age. Many thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (101.6 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (83.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (102.8 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.jpg (120.4 KB, 65 views)