View Single Post

Old 11-15-2010, 08:42 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyj View Post
Hi:
I have been a "Webley Fan" since the 1950s when Gold State Arms of California was selling Webleys for $9.95 for IVs and VIs for $14.95.
The Webley Mk IV was a .455 w/4' barrel and "Birdhead" grip.
The Webley Mk V was a .455 w/ 5" barrel and "Birdhead" grip.
The Webley Mk VI was a .455 w/ 6" barrel and square butt.
Enfields .38s were SA/DA and the "Commando" model was DA only with a spurless hammer.
For some reason (?) Enfields were several dollars higher than the Webleys.

Jimmy-

Sorry, but the difference between the MK IV and V .455's was that the cylinder diameter was increased slightly on the latter, to make it safer with smokeless powder. Both usually had four-inch barrels, but six-inch ones exist.

The .38 shown is a MK IV .38, numbered in Webley's COMMERCIAL range. This is not the same order as the service MK guns. That confuses many.

Most of these MK IV .38's taken into British military use had five-inch barrels, which are exceedingly rare (if they exist) on the .455's. But Webley would take special orders from customers, and officers then bought their own sidearms. Someone might have ordered a five-inch barrel.

The best finished Webleys that I've seen were the WG models and the Wilkinson-Webleys, sold by the famous sword maker. Those were wonderful items. The "issued" ones have dull gray finishes, and War Finish .38's are really quite rough. They are easily the poorest finished Webleys. Don't judge the maker by them. S&W Victory Models are also pretty rough,as were late wartime German-issued pistols.

T-Star
P.S. That retailer was actually Golden State, not just Gold. But many other mail order dealers also sold them. I got my MK VI .455 at Montgomery Ward's. I was 13, and my mom had to buy it for me. I later bought one made by Enfield Arsenal, after the Crown cut Webley out as a provider in the 1920's. They frankly duplicated the MK VI, and only the markings distinguish them. By 1927, these began to be replaced witrh the Enfield .38's. By then, I think officers had to carry the issued handgun. It was probably part of the grand scheme to eventually ban private possession of guns in the UK.

Last edited by Texas Star; 11-15-2010 at 08:48 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: