Thread: My SW9VE Review
View Single Post

Old 11-15-2010, 11:29 PM

Liked 2,526 Times in 1,043 Posts

Bought a 9VE about 6 weeks ago. So far I like it a lot; have just short of 200 rounds of my handloads through it, 1 failure to feed on 7th round (about round 95) from slide to rear. No apparent cause, and I am attributing it to break-in. I hope that is a real anomaly, because I am getting rather fond of this gun. For a plastic gun, anyway,

Tried something of an experiment with it today. I have a pair of mechanics' gloves that I use with the AR in cold weather. I tried them with the Sigma today--very carefully. If I insert my finger in the trigger guard they take up all the slack but no more. The Sigma fits me so well that I still have good feel with the gloves. Temp was about 35 degrees, spitting rain/snow, and windy. I shot it on a paper plate target at 15 yards, slow fire, and got a decent 5 shot group. Then went to 7 yards, singles from low ready, focussing on the one white dot left on the front sight. No timer, but running about 2.0 seconds. Group ok, but loose. Repeated but with focus on good sight picture, and for the 5 shot group got a teacup sized group.

This with the dreaded "heavy" Sigma pull. I weighed it at 11.5# when I got the gun and it was the same when I reweighed it tonight. It's smoother, and feels like a good DA revolver. (NOT like an old Colt DA!)

I will have to do some more work with the Sigma when it gets really cold. I've shot revolvers in 30 below, so I have some baseline experience here. The the last thing you want at those temperatures is a light pull; which is why I've never tried a 1911 under those conditions.

The "heavy pull" of the Sigma, on the other hand, really worked well as a safety measure, and sure doesn't affect accuracy. Some people think that a good, smooth, somewhat heavy DA pull is preferable, and I am inclined to think they're right. I spent time trying to shoot a Glock 17 and SIG 220 (DA/SA and DAO) well, and never came close to what this gun can do.

Not bad for a cheap blaster. 800 rounds to go until it's off probation.