View Single Post

Old 11-17-2010, 03:01 AM

Liked 85 Times in 26 Posts
Default My Era

Being a first year baby boomer, I became financially capable of acquiring quality firearms in my late 20's and early 30's. Those who care enough to do the math will note that means I began purchasing new Smith and Ruger revolvers in the early 1970's. The late 60's found me with primarily Rugers, a super single six, then a Blackhawk, and finally a Flattop and Super Blackhawk 44 magnum. What was next.....of course, a model 29. My first 'N' frame was a Model 29-2 4inch blue in 1973, then it was off to the races. I bought roughly two new Smith 29's, 27's, and 25's annually, as often as I could find them primarily from Montgomery Wards in Southern California and other venues. I also acquired a number of 'K' frames, and still possess a few 'J's, but 'N's with the caliber beginning the number '4' were (and continue to be) my favorites. I continued doing so as funds became available up to my last pinned and recessed in roughly 1980, an early model 629 6 inch. I believe I still own all of them, but a few could have dropped from my memory. Most were/are 3 T's in mahogany presentation boxes. The majority are model 29's, in that I was and continue to be enamored with the caliber. My favorite 27 is my five inch, primarily due to my belief that a five inch 'N' frame is perhaps the most well balanced and attractive of them all. Being as all were pinned and recessed, it didn't mean anything to me at the time. My steady purchases of non pinned and recessed continued through the 1980's up to the mid-90's with most being stainless and blue three inch 'N's and a few Mountain Guns. Then, the IL and other factors caused me to stop new purchases and hunt for more of the the older models.

Referring back to the original posting, I bought all these firearms because of my timing in life and had no idea, nor did I even care, that they were pinned and recessed, or that they would become desirable or increase in value. I just enjoyed the beauty, workmanship, and shear pleasure of handling and shooting the best of the best. I continue doing so today.

I believe Smith continues to manufacture unique and quality products but my heart remains with the earlier models. For the past 10 years, I have continued periodic purchases of five screw Smiths and three screw Rugers, when the timing and condition warrants my doing so.

That's my story and I imagine it mirrors that of many other vintage forum members.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: